South Side Academy offers:
- A safe and secure learning environment
- Strong school pride with community
- Free breakfast and lunch
- Family programs and festivals
- Transportation provided for eligible students
- Music education, physical education and art education classes
- Highly-qualified teachers
- After-School programs
- Student centered instruction with free tutoring
- Small class sizes
- Technology focused classrooms
- Rigorous, comprehensive, and differentiated curriculum
South Side Academy is a community school option. We have grown from an educational establishment that has been an academic choice in Youngstown for nearly twenty years. South Side Academy offers a diverse learning environment focused on the various learning styles of our students and curriculum alternatives that are geared toward the 21st century learner. South Side Academy strives to offer students a strong learning environment that removes nonacademic barriers to allow our students the best chances at successful lifelong learning.
OUR MISSION, VISION, & VALUE
The mission of South Side Academy is to provide a safe, supportive environment in which to develop each student’s ability to reach their highest potential academically, achieve good health habits, and gain a positive understanding of social responsibility with self, others, and the community now, and in the future. South Side will involve parents and the community to enhance its useful benefits to all students.
Our Beliefs and Values
Every student is empowered to excel by removing barriers to success.
At South Side, we believe...
- Education is a partnership between teachers, parents, students and administration
- In creating a safe, caring and rich school culture
- In consistent teacher and parent communication
- In enforcing our school dress code
- In high behavioral and academic expectations
- In rigorous, comprehensive and developmentally appropriate curriculum
South Side Academy’s educational model is based on the following:
- All students can achieve their potential given the appropriate resources, facility and care and dedicated staff and parents.
- All students benefit from a fundamental curriculum and structured environment which includes foundational skills and hands-on application.
- Formulation of a parent-school partnership which fosters collaboration between parents, teachers, students and administration.
- Students are engaged in authentic and hands-on learning.
Character Building and Positive Behavior Beliefs and Values
South Side places a strong focus on behavior and sets high expectations for all students and parents. Our educators place an emphasis on providing a positive academic environment that focuses on character building and establishes high expectations for our students.